Poll Shows Small Business Owners Support Stronger Toxic Chemical Standards
by Katie Greenhaw
Nov 14, 2012
According to a recent poll from the American Sustainable Business Council (ASBC), a large majority of small business owners support stronger regulation of toxic chemicals. The results of the survey highlight the overwhelming backing for controlling these chemicals, with most small business owners voicing support for enhanced regulation and disclosure of toxic substances.
The poll found:
- 75 percent support stricter regulations of chemicals used in everyday products
- 73 percent support government regulations to ensure the products companies buy and sell are non-toxic
- 91 percent support holding chemical manufacturers responsible for ensuring their products are safe
- 87 percent support regulation of chemicals used in growing food
- 92 percent support standards to protect air and water from pollution by toxic chemicals
- 78 percent support standards to reduce air pollutants linked to environmental and health problems
- 76 percent support tax incentives for companies that innovate and develop safer chemicals
A majority of small business owners realize that improved regulation of dangerous chemicals would not only ensure safer products and a healthier environment, it would allow them to better cater to today’s consumers, many of whom are demanding safe, environmentally friendly, and affordable products.
If you’re a small business owner and want to express your support for stricter laws against toxic substances, sign ASBC’s petition and urge Congress to update the 36-year-old Toxic Substances Control Act.