A just and democratic society in which every individual can thrive.
Build an open, accountable government that invests in the common good, protects people and the environment, and advances the national priorities defined by an active, informed citizenry.
To ensure government is effective and responsive to the priorities of the American people, we conduct policy research and develop policy proposals; create tools to encourage citizen participation and government accountability; and build broad-based coalitions to advance these values. To ensure the American people understand the vital role of government, we produce and disseminate educational tools and communications materials.
We are a resource for policymakers, the media, advocacy groups, community organizations, and the public.
- Improved public understanding of the vital role of government empowers a more engaged, informed citizenry;
- Our regulatory system has the resources, authority, and will to protect the health and well-being of the American people;
- Proactive government disclosure of timely, useful information empowers people to participate in decision making and to safeguard the well-being of their families and communities; and
- Transparent, effective budget and spending systems generate sustainable investments in the public structures that undergird American democracy and our quality of life.
The Center for Effective Government was founded as OMB Watch in 1983, with the main focus of shining a light on the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The organization changed it name in January 2013 to reflect its expanded work and new focus: an effective government that reflects the needs and priorities of the American people, as defined by an informed, engaged citizenry.
More About Us
- Our History
- Our Staff & Board
- Our Funders
- Job and Internship Opportunities
- IRS 990 & Audit Information
- Current Annual Report
- What Others are Saying about
the Center for Effective Government