A just and democratic society in which every individual can thrive.
Our mission is to build an open, accountable government that invests in the common good, protects people and the environment, and advances the national priorities defined by an active, informed citizenry.
We conduct research and policy analyses; develop new policy and reform ideas; encourage citizen participation and government accountability; and build broad-based coalitions to advance these values. To ensure the American people understand the vital role of government, we produce and disseminate educational tools and materials. We are a resource for policymakers, the media, advocacy allies, community organizations, and citizens.
- Improved understanding of the vital role and potential of the public sector inspires citizens to demand government that better serves the public interest;
- More equitable revenue options and transparent spending systems generate sustainable investments in the public structures that undergird American democracy and our quality of life;
- The entities responsible for implementing our laws have the resources, authority, and will to establish and enforce the health and safety standards that protect the well-being of the American people; and
- Proactive disclosure of timely, useful public information empowers people to participate in government decision making that affects their families and communities.
The Center for Effective Government was founded as OMB Watch in 1983, with a primary focus on making the work of executive branch agencies more transparent and open to citizen input. The organization changed its name in January 2013 to reflect the fact that its work has expanded over the years and that it has a new goal: an effective government that reflects the needs and priorities of the American people.
More About Us
- Our History
- Our Work & Successes
- Our Staff & Board
- Our Funders
- IRS 990 & Audit Information
- Current Annual Report
- What Others are Saying about
the Center for Effective Government